Monday, April 10, 2006

My very own "Crack" house...Almost

 




For the last 6 years I have been looking for a house.

Not just any old house, but a house that we can afford, and actually live in. It sounds easy enough, but the housing market, here in Silicon Valley, is crazy.

I recently found a "crack house", that no one really did crack in,(but if it was in a different neighborhood they would have). It was listed at 729,000.
I walked through the place and found 2 bedrooms that were just plain sheet rock, a laundry room with a huge pipe running through the middle, and lots of ugly flooring, wallpaper and mold.

I got excited. I thought no one would want this place. Maybe we can under bid them and make it ours.

That is what the bay area has driven me to. I now think that unfinished, moldy, bare piped homes are a fine place to raise a family. I know the mold would have to go, but the rest I could live with for a while.

Alas, the crack house was not meant to be mine. It sold for 713,000; which was out of our price range. So I am back to looking.

I still am holding out hope that somewhere out there is a little house that will be mine, but until then I am scouting nasty little houses that I hope nobody else wants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've responded to a blog. I hope you find a house soon, I just sold my little cottage (750 sq feet + half basement) and from what you described, mine could have gone for a million rather than the 305K it did -- and I thought the Seattle market was wacked.

I don't have kids, but I might forward your blog to my boss, I'm tired of hearing how everything is sooooo hard with kids (like she invented it). She's always soooo tired, the kids are always getting sick, and she doesn't have time to go to the dry cleaner or get a hair cut. This is with a stay at home child caring husband (a musician with odd hours) but still, get a grip -- choices! do what you can, do what's important and stop whining!

You seem to have a better grip on life. Go forth, your house is out there somewhere.